The Miramare Castle is a 19th century castle, built for Austrian Archduke Maximilian and his wife, Charlotte of Belgium, on the Gulf of Trieste near Trieste, northeastern Italy. Construction took place from 1856 to 1860 to a design by Carl Junker on the orders of Archduke Maximilian.The extensive park (22 hectares) is located on the seashore and was designed by the Archduke. The Royal couple, who then divided their time between the duties of the court and their private lives but were soon to accept the benefits and burdens of the Mexican crown, spent a happy period here at the Austrian Riviera. Here, with the visit of a delegation from Mexico, definite plans were laid for the adventure that led to their undoing in America.
The Castle, now a museum run by the Cultural Heritage Office, affords a panoramic view of the Bay of Grignano and the Adriatic beyond from atop a rock promontory. It is surrounded by an Italian-style garden, with flora (including rare species) from all over the world. There is also a marine park.
The castle is 90 km far from Lignano, it's about 1 hour by car.